Science class in I-EP Middle School includes life science, chemistry and physics. Teaching and learning is organized under the philosophy of inquiry-based learning and conceptual learning.
The science curriculum in IEP Middle School is based on the IB MYP Science framework.
We agree that the MYP sciences curriculum must explore the connections between science and everyday life.
Scientific inquiry also fosters critical and creative thinking about research and design, as well as theidentification of assumptions and alternative explanations.
The aims of MYP sciences are to encourage and enable students to:
• understand and appreciate science and its implications
• consider science as a human endeavour with benefits and limitations
• cultivate analytical, inquiring and flexible minds that pose questions, solve problems, constructexplanations and judge arguments
• develop skills to design and perform investigations, evaluate evidence and reach conclusions
• build an awareness of the need to effectively collaborate and communicate
• apply language skills and knowledge in a variety of real-life contexts
• develop sensitivity towards the living and non-living environments
• reflect on learning experiences and make informed choices.
The main approach to teaching and learning sciences is through structured inquiry in the context ofinterdisciplinary units. Students are encouraged to investigate science by formulating their own questionsand finding answers to those questions, including through research and experimentation.